f

A J In The Delta

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Focus Paper

Wow, this is my first blog. I keep thinking to myself that I am so lucky and blessed to be involved in this program. Then, I begin to hear the horror stories. But then I think to myself that it will not happen to me. Let's be realistic the horror stories can happen to anyone, especially to a sweet lady like myself. Yet I still feel blessed to be in a situation where I can truely have an impact on someone's life. This is my chance to give back and make a difference for the better in someone's life.
I chose to read the focus paper written by Ruth Kuhnau entitled "Tactics to Avoid Integration." I really enjoyed this paper. I learned a lot about the state of Mississippi that I did not know. I learned that the Mississippi government was very involved in these tactics to avoid integration. It is hard for me to believe that some of the agencies formed to avoid integration were government funded. Also the amount of governors involved in these agencies was alarming. It seems as if the people who were trying to integrate Mississippi were fighting an uphill battle. Things have not changed much since then. The people of Mississippi have become experts at avoiding integration. The school are still segregated because of the numerous private schools throughout Mississippi. Inspite of all of this I am excited and ready to jump on board and help fight in this uphill battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home