f

A J In The Delta

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Almost There

This is a continuation of my last blog on block scheduling. The veteran teacher that I worked with was not very motivated or positive person. If I choose to stay in teaching for a while, I hope I do not become as negative as she was. The thing I did enjoy about block schedule, was that I did not have to plan anything for two weeks. That was nice. Yet, I really missed teaching. I am also not sure how much block schedule actually helped our children. The whole plan of the block schedule, was to get our children ready for the MCT. I think, we overloaded them. The children did not enjoy the block schedule at all. They complained everyday.

On the other hand, some of my worst children ,as far as behavior and class work, became some of the most engaged and well behaved students. For these children, this was their last chance to pass the eighth grade. Many of my students believe that if they pass the MCT, they will not have to pass the classes. Some of them are making more of an effort to pass and do their best than they did on the first day of school. These kids go all year and do no work, but they expect to pass at the end of the year. They come to me and ask for extra credit and ask what they need to do to pass. These children have perfected the art of playing the system. They know how much work to do in order to barely get by. It is really sad that they are that smart, but chose to not use their ability positively.

As part of the Tier I, II, and III intervention, I wrote letters to all my students who are endanger of failing eighth grade science. I told each student what he/she needed in order to pass eighth grade science. I am hoping it will motivate these students. Yet I think, it is unfair for these students to be so lazy throughout the year, and they are still able to pass my class. It is unfair for the harder working students. But this is what I have to do for Tier interventions. Apparently in order to fail a student, a teacher must prove how they tried to help the student. This is the reason for the letter. Many of the students seemed to appreciate that I cared enough to inform them of their possible failure. Yet other students, saw the letter as a negative gesture. They said they knew there was no way they could make the grade. For these students, they will continue to perform poorly and be lazy.
Have I already stated ,that I am very happy that the end is near. I am sure I will miss my students, but I am ready for the summer. I can’t wait to go home and see my family and friends. I have learned so much this year, a lot from myself and some from my students. I will never forget this experience. I can proudly say that I have almost survived my first year of teaching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home