f

A J In The Delta

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Classroom Management Blog

At the beginning of the year, I did not assert myself as being strict. I began the year with lenient and great optimism about my kid’s behavior. I knew teaching was not going to be easy, while at the same time, trying to get students to behave, but I had no idea it was going to be this hard. The hardest thing for me is to be consistent everyday. My management changes with my mood. This is a huge problem for me. I try to work on this everyday. I try to be consistent as much as possible. I think my kids are beginning to read my moods. They know how far to push on a good and they know not to push me on a bad day. I think this is not fair to m kids. I am supposed to provide them with consistency. This is the biggest down fall to my classroom management. I intend to work on this!
As week three passed, I realized I had to assert myself as the dictator of the classroom. I think many of the students were trying to test me. The first nine weeks I gave out at least three writing assignments per day e class period and it did not work, their bad behavior seemed increase drastically. Then I began to write up the disruptive students. This worked great. The writing assignment decreased.
I now give out about one writing assignment per week. It seems to me, that I give the detention and writing assignments to the same group of students every week. My biggest problem during the last nine weeks was excessive talking. I now have reduced the problem by half. Now my biggest problem is throwing objects and “hagging”(local slang that means talking about another person) I now give detention for both throwing and hagging, I feel that this has helped.
I am very lucky to have a great administrative staff. I try to deal with the students on my own before I send them to the office. I move them from one side of the room to the other, I talk to them, call their parents, give them detention, and writing assignments before I send them out. Then, when I do send them out I document all the things I have done prior to this. This works very well, my administrator supports me greatly. If I write a student up he or she generally gets about five days of In School Suspension. I can now say that I have very few classroom management problems three of the five days in a week. I feel like I am starting to take complete control of my class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home