f

A J In The Delta

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Final Decision and Advice For First Years

As I was saying in the last blog, family is very important to me. Moving to Desoto would only puts me about three and a half hours from home. This would be great because I can go home on the weekends. Also I will get a chance to be around my family and get to know them better. In the past five years, I have never been home longer than a week at a time. I am also considering moving back to my home town after I complete the program. The only available jobs there would be teaching. I would love to teach at my high school. Desoto is very similar to my high school. Working at Desoto would make it an easier transition to teach my third year at my high school. So needless to say, I am moving to Desoto County. I am really going to miss Greenwood Middle and my students.


Advice For the Newcomers

1. Do not smile until Christmas break!! You will have to be mean. You need to let the students know that you are the head person in charge and that you run your classroom. You need to say “No” as much as possible.

2. Show no weakness because the students will take advantage of it.

3. Be consistent. Treat all the students the same. You must punish all students who break rules.

4. Always use your consequences, no exceptions.

5. Do what the administration ask you to do. You will probably need their back up on discipline issues. If you do as they ask you to, they will be more inclined to assist you.

6. You will write-up a lot of students in the first two months.

7. Try to do something outside of school. It is important to have a life outside of school. Always take time for yourself.

8. If possible get involved in a school activity such as a club or a sport. It is much easier to get to know the students and their parents if you see the students outside of the classroom.

9. Take care of yourself mentally and physically. Eat right and try to have someone to talk to about problems at school.

10. Have fun and always remember that you are making a difference!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home