f

A J In The Delta

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Learning Objectives

My objective strategy for summer school has been similar to those that I used during the school year. I try to use a level one or two objective at the beginning of the class. Then, I try to build on the knowledge of the students by having them apply their knowledge with the use of a level four or five bloom’s verb. I like to use analyze, demonstrate, design, and summarize to allow the students to apply what they have learned. I expect students to be able to explain the lesson and the objectives learned to another person. I expect the student to learn the material not memorize or regurgitate the lesson.
When first teaching a student, it is often unknown how far you can push a student. I have found that my summer school class can be pushed farther than the eighth grade classes I taught this past year. My student is very bright and already has a lot of prior knowledge of eighth grade science. It is very important to activate prior knowledge and build on what knowledge the student has. I used the inductive strategy, in which, I provide the students with a discrepant event and they ask yes/no questions to find an answer. I used the question to activate prior knowledge. The discrepant event was the occurrence of night and day and the seasons. I found that the student could tell me why night and day occurred, but not the reason for the seasons. This helped me to realize that the majority of the lesson needed to be spent on the seasons and the explanation of why they occur. My student is very bright and my objectives need to be on a higher bloom’s level He also needs to have objectives that have more activities and demonstrations. This will allow him to use the knowledge that he learned through the lessons taught.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home