f

A J In The Delta

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Beginning of semester Reflections

I am still coaching girls’ basketball, as I did last year. I enjoy it more this year. I feel, I have more input and my opinion actually matters. I am getting a lot of hands on practice. I head coach the freshman team. We are not very good, but I really enjoy my girls. They are very respectful and try to do what I ask. The girl’s basketball team is doing better this year than they did last year. Last they only won three games; this year we have already won eight games. At this moment, I am happy with my choice to move.

Teaching is fun and stressful as always. This year I have a wide range of students. I have two classes of the “Delta” students and one of “Suburban” students. The Delta classes are very similar to the kids in Greenwood. I have to tell them to be quiet five times a day. I still give out numerous write- offs. At the beginning of this semester, I went over the classroom rules again. I said each rule five times in every way I could think of saying them. They still don’t get it. How hard is it to follow my rules? They are simple.
1. No Throwing and Tossing
2. No talking while the teacher is talking.
3. Bring all materials to class.
4. You need your book every day.


There are only 4 rules. I still can’t figure out how you can make it to fourth period without paper or pencil. I am so tired of saying that you need your book every day. Ok let’s focus on the positives; I must say that I do like my students. I have realized that helping children is my calling. I really enjoy kids. I don’t want any right now, but I enjoy teaching them. Their smiles and comments, I enjoy everything about them. They all show so much potential. I must say it is tougher teaching these students. It’s like they don’t catch on as easily. The difference is that they do their homework and some of them actually study.
My suburban kids are great. I have never given a write-off in that class. I have never raised my voice either. But some of these students just don’t do the work at all. A few of them already have two zeros. They only have three grades. I have found that some of them are just lazy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home