f

A J In The Delta

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Impact on My Life

This experience has changed my life. It has opened my eyes to so many things I had no idea still existed, such as generational poverty. I was clueless to the fact that towns like the Delta towns still exist. Another thing that has surprised me is the amount of education many of the students’ parents have. Many of them are uneducated. This experienced has opened my eyes to how many people live. It has made me thankful for all the things I have. It has also opened my eyes to how big of an impact one person can have on people or even a community. I also formed friendships that I hope will last a life time. I grew very close to my mentor teacher; in fact, we hung out together outside of school. I would go and watch my kids play recreational sports. This allowed my students to see me outside of school. I think, this made them realize that I was a real person. I am also less superficial. I am more understanding to the fact that many people sometimes go through hard times. Hard times are when you are unsure of where your next meal is coming from and unsure of where you will sleep from night to night. I found that hard times happen to many of my students and their families. No matter what I do in life I plan to somehow continue to be involved in education, whether it is through volunteering at a local library or school, donating money, or being a teacher. I truly can say that I know the importance and the value of an education. This experience has changed so many things about me. It has in some part, made me who I am today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home