f

A J In The Delta

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

How to Prevent First-Year Burnout

1. Have a hobby outside of school. (running, sports, working out, TV., reading)

2. Learn to leave work at school. ( This very hard to do, but it can be done. Try to plan for the whole week on the weekends. Don’t plan day to day because you will get no sleep. Print all worksheets and handouts a week before. I would print anything that I thought I might use for the upcoming unit. There will always be times when you have to hold classes, and you can use the extra worksheets for those occasions. I would grade on Sunday afternoons only.)

3. Hangout with friends who do not teach.

4. Try to have “Me” time every month. Do the things you enjoy doing.

5. Go site seeing in the Delta or in Jackson.

6. Find a lake or river to walk along or swim in. I find that a walk by the water relaxes me.

7. Do not add unnecessary stress to your life. You already have enough.

8. Have a good friend in the teacher corp who you can vent to. Always vent, never hold it in. Hangout with other teachers.

9. Go away for the weekends. It is not possible to do this every weekend but once every few months would be good.

10. Try to see your kids outside of school. (church, grocery store, etc.) It will allow your students to see that you are a real person. I find once I did this, the bad ones weren’t as bad. They didn’t give me as much trouble.

11. Take advantage of the vacations and take a vacation!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home