f

A J In The Delta

Monday, January 14, 2008

Favorite Students in the Hills



"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve."
-Albert Schweitzer

I can honestly say that I don’t have a favorite student. I know this sounds corny but I enjoy all of my students. I find positives in them all. I can’t honestly just name a few. So I will describe my classes.

First period is my basketball girls, who I enjoy coaching. They are so crazy and energetic. They tell me everything you can imagine. It’s crazy they just open up to me. These girls just come up to me and ask, “Hey coach what do you think I need to work on.” I tell them. The next couple of days they stay after school and work on it. I must say these girls work hard; they just have so far to go to become good ball players. But I hope that they are learning something about life in the process.

2nd period- These are my Greenwood babies. They remind me of the kids I taught last year. I absolutely love these kids. It is easy to draw them in and get them interested in a lesson. But they sure can talk and walk around the classroom. I still give out write-offs in this class. They are the students that I feel need the most attention and love from me. They always speak to me no matter where they are. “Hey Ms. Johnson!!” They love to tell me stories and ask me thousands of science and random questions. I really don’t want to leave them next year.

3rd period- These are my angels, up to this point in the year that is. They are the sweetest group of kids ever. I have never raised my voice at them. They do what I ask of them. I push them to limit. I give them homework every night. I cover a Chapter a week. I teach them Biology I, which is a state tested subject area. They have somehow figured out that one of my ex-boyfriends plays in the NFL. They love teasing me about it. I have to threaten write-offs and outlaw certain names!! But I push them hard!!

4th period-Now these are my talkative, IEP babies. All but five students in this class have IEP. Many of these IEPs consist of behavioral or social problems. So can imagine how out of control these students can get. They drive me crazy, but I somehow find ways to enjoy them. The diversity of the student’s learning levels are so vast. It is really hard to plan for this class. I struggle with keeping them interested.This class is very dynamic with a lot sensitive personalities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home