f

A J In The Delta

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

2008: Most Improved Student (MIS)


My most improved student is in my Science Skills and Reasoning class. He began the year sitting in the back of the class with a constant gaze in his eyes. I am pretty sure he spent the majority of the beginning of the year high. What I mean by that is that he has been on drugs while in my class. His behavior was so bizarre. He was constantly zoned out, and he rarely completed his assignments. He had an I can care less attitude. But lately his grades have improved greatly. I moved him away from his friends to the other side of the classroom. I also pulled him into the hallway and asked him if he did drugs. I told him that I thought the drugs were affecting his performance in my class. I asked him to not do drugs ever and especially before attending my class. I also began to show interest in the things he seemed to be interested in. I discovered that he enjoys skateboarding. After I discovered this, I went out of my way to ask questions and show interest in skateboarding. Once this occurred, I saw a great improvement in his grades and participation. He now asks and answers questions in class. He has shown great improvement. I am so proud of him. Since his grades and participation have improved, I have seen improvement in his behavior. I now enjoy teaching this student…….some days :)!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home